Weiner Schnitzel and Jager Schnitzel - Air Fried and healthy!
This is the famous Austrian (Weiner means "from Vienna") but many connect it with southern Germany, like the similar Jaeger Schnitzel You can use
pork cutlets, chicken breasts or veal cutlets. Basically, it is a lightly breaded, pan fried tender cutlet with a mushroom sauce. It is easy
to make. Make the mushroom sauce first then simply ladle that over the cutlets after you cook them in the air-friyer for a healthy and super tasty
meal. Or... if you don't have an auir fryer (or just prefer more fat and calories...) you can see this version oof the recipe and pan fry them!
Mushroom Gravy Ingredients
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 24 oz. white
- 3 Tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock, fat free, unsalted
- 1 Tablespoons whole grain mustard (not critical, if you don't have it)
- 1 Tablespoons
- Salt and pepper to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon each)
- Vegetable oil for pan frying (about 1 cup)
boneless boneless pork chops, about 2 lbs, total
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs plus two tablespoons of water
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- Lemon wedges, for
- Flat-leaf parsley, chopped, for garnish
Making the mushroom gravy
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a medium
- Add the butter
- Add the garlic and sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for another 4 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they start to release liquid, about 4 minutes.
- Add the wine
- Cook until the wine reduces, about 3 - 4 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch with the broth and add to the pot
- Stir frequently, while the sauce thickens (about 3 or 4 minutes
- Stir in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Keep warm:
Making the cutlets
Step 1 - Pound the cutlets
Pound the cutlet between wax paper, or in a large freezer bag, by using the side of a meat tenderizer.
Pound down to about 1/4". Trim any jagged sides, and/or excess fat.
Step 2 - Heat the oil
Heat the oil in a large,
sturdy skillet over medium-high heat.
Step 3 - Ready the coatings
Place the flour in one medium-sized bowl.
Place the eggs in another bowl
and gently mix together. Mix in another 2 tablespoons of water.
In a third bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, paprika and caraway
Step 4 - Coat the cutlets
Dredge each cutlet in the flour, then dip in the egg wash (shake off excess), then dredge in the bread crumb mixture.
Step 5 - Fry the breaded cutlets
Fry each cutlet
for about 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
Serve with gravy poured over top. Garnish with lemon wedges